Saturday, January 28, 2012

Naugatuck State Forest

Date: Jan. 28, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Beacon Falls and Oxford
Trail Conditions: Fewer blowdowns
Observations/Information: This was an exploration hike to connect the dots in some of the confusing areas. With some back and forth hiking, my group found two trail junctions that were obscured by blowdowns. One we cleared because it was blocking the trail. The other we left in place to hike the trail from ATVs (which we heard, and later saw the dug up trails from their passage). We did clear a number of other small blowdowns along the way, so I would estimate that 90 percent of the smaller blowdowns are cleared. There still are some big trees down, but we have cut back enough hanging limbs that people can negotiate around them. The trails were generally damp, with some running water or muddy places in some areas. A fallen limb was diverting water onto a trail, so I cut that to direct the water back to the streambed. Normally, the Naugatuck Forest is a place you have to yourselves, but we saw about six pairs of people out hiking. Next time I need to carry a bucket, so I can carry out the bottles and cans that can be found in assorted places. I was juggling a GPS, map and my notes, hiking pole, and saw, so I had no way to carry litter out, too. I look forward to returning in warmer weather for a ride.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersol

Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Various trails and woods roads off Cold Springs Rd.
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 4
Approximate Distance (Miles): 6 miles
Images/Photos:
2nd image:
3rd Image:
4th Image:

No comments: