Saturday, September 22, 2012

Case Mountain



Date: Saturday September 22, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Case Mountain
Town: Manchester
Trail Conditions: Good
Observations/Information: I rode Case Mountain Saturday afternoon. I parked in the Case Pond Lot. The lot has recently been improved, gravel laid down and possibly enlarged a little. The map box was empty so I was forced to rely on my wits for navigation. I did a counterclockwise lollipop shaped ride out to Birch Mountain Road. On the way out I found a trail I had never been on. It's unmarked and runs a relatively flat course along a stream/boggy area and comes out on the powerline near the reservoir. It's a pretty good trail that has been optimized for mountain biking with ramps over the logs and rockwork at the stream crossings. Unfortunately it hasn't been benched and will eventually succumb to erosion.

Case is an interesting combination of old and new. Besides the above mentioned trail there's also a new trail south of the powerline that winds its way down the hill in serpentine fashion and has been benched and cribbed for sustainability. I was surprised to find a couple hiking on this trail. I also noticed a new, benched reroute that circumvents a steep fall line. Naturally, some people are still riding the fall line. The older trails are about as old-school as it gets. They're rough, and don't have optimal flow for mountain biking. You spend a lot of time picking your way through rock gardens. This can be fun to a point. I also noticed some new and well-built bridges on those trails (see photo).
Trails were dry, in good condition overall, and well used. No new blow downs. I crossed paths with some dog walkers and a few hikers. One of the hikers was not happy to see me and made a kind of disapproving hiss with his nose as I passed by.

If you ride Case and don't know the trails I'd recommend printing a map off the internet, or better yet riding with someone who does know them since many are unmarked.
Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes

Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: Many
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 2.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 15 miles
Images/Photos: upload 9-22-12 027.JPG
2nd image: upload 9-22-12 023.JPG

No comments: