Sunday, November 28, 2010

TA Report: West Rock

Date of Activity: Nov. 28, 2010
Location: West Rock Ridge State Park
Condition of Trails(s): Mostly solid, but starting to get wetter and muddier
Observations: The low spots on the White Trail, and a couple on the Red Trail are starting to get soggy from the recent rains. The bypasses around these low areas are definitely needed now. There are no issues with overhanging branches on the trails I walked, although there are plenty of invasive species that need removal.
Encounters: Lots of dog walkers. Surprisingly, there were no bikers, given the fact that it was a fairly mild day. I had a few "thank yous" from the humans, which I always appreciate hearing.

Work Performed: I picked up a bucket full of trash, including lots of cigarette butts left by fishermen. Using my hand truck and two buckets, I hauled four loads of gravel up to the junction of the Purple-White Trail to firm up the trail alongside the seasonal watercourse, and a low section just beyond it. While coming from Lake Wintergreen, I noticed one low spot covering half the trail, just north of the lake. I will let the DEP know about this so they can get a crew to fill it. I found the other low spot that I partially filled on Thursday and it was considerably wetter. It is way too far for another trip from the shrinking gravel pile at the Purple Trail, so I will let the state know about this as well. I did fill a smaller low spot just north of the Purple Trail on the Red Trail.


Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold

Trail Ambassador Email: bikehikekayak {at} sbcglobal {dot} net
Town: Hamden
Trail(s) Walked: White, between Lake Wintergreen and Purple, and Red, between the start of the White at the end of Lake Wintergreen, and Purple
How did you use the trail: Trail maintenance
What was the time of day: noon to 3 p.m.
Duration (Hours): 3 hours
Distance (Miles): 2 miles

No comments: