Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trumbull-Pequonnock

Sunday, October 3rd, 2010
Condition of Trails: Good, although roots are slippery and trails are getting leafy
Trail Ambassador Names: Rich C
Once more, I headed in from Whitney and rode the Trail above the rail trail right out of the parking lot. Noticed the Rail trail is even more eroded at the junction of the North Bridge Connector, Last week's storms are eating away at this poorly designed spot.
Once across the river and up the hill, I rode the Yellow in and once I got over the Rusty River (a.k.a. Orange Stream), I blazed the Red trail all the way south past the fire road. In keeping with the overall concept for the red trail (furthest east with the most technical challenges, etc.), I blazed the Upper Rocky Ridge red. (Maps on the TTC Site have been updated accordingly.)
Surprisingly, I saw very few bikers. I met fellow TTC participant Steve walking a neighbor's dog and we spent some time in the Central Maze before I headed down the Yellow and swung though the Serengeti where I met a family from Bridgeport hiking who adore the place. I gave them a few historical tips to check out while exploring.
All the trails including the Blue by the river were dry enough to ride. There was very little evidence of soil erosion or washouts from the recent heavy rain storms on any of the main trails. The only problems were the roots were fairly slippery and occasionally fallen leaves were obscuring the trail.
Trail Ambassador Email: mtnbikerdad[at]yahoo[dot]com
Town: Trumbull
Location: Pequonnock Valley State Forest
How did you use the trail?: Blazing, Mountain Biking
What was the time of day? 2:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Duration (Hours): 2.5 Hours

No comments: