Sunday, July 25, 2010

TA/TM Report: Trumbull-Pequonnock

Saturday, July 24th, 2010
Condition of Trails: Nasty humid and buggy

It was ridiculously hot and muggy -- worse it seemed it the woods -- the forest retains the moisture. The ride in was a little sketchy as all the rocks and roots were still slick from yesterday's rain. Good news was there was hardly any mud.

Rode to the washed out fall Line on the Red Trail near the 1st stream and flagged a reroute for Sunday's TM session. After finishing there, I headed in further on the Yellow Trail but turned around before hitting the Central Maze and headed down to the Serengeti and back out on the White.

I had my folding camper shovel in my water pack and stopped at the famous mudhole on the White Trail and dug a little channel to help drain off
the standing water. This will need the attention of a dedicated crew at a future TM session to really make a difference. It's been a problem spot for as long as I can remember.

I was pleasantly surprised on my way up the White Trail. Some good Samaritan had already cleared the huge fallen tree. Lastly on my way out, I adjusted a couple of flat rocks on the armored stream crossing we made a couple of months back. I met a few sweat-drenched bikers in the parking lot who all expressed great interest in helping out on future TM work.

Trail Ambassador Name: Rich C
Trail Ambassador Email: mtnbikerdad[at]yahoo[dot]com
Town: Trumbull
Location: Pequonnock Valley State Forest
Trails Ridden: Southern Red, Yellow
How did you use the trail?: Mountain Biking, TM
What was the time of day? 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Duration (Hours): 4 Hours

No comments: