Sunday, May 9, 2010

TA Report: West Hartford Reservoir

Date of Activity: 5-9-2019
Condition of Trail: Good

Trail Ambassador Name: Daren Casey
Email: daren@darencasey.com
Town: West Hartford
Location: West Hartford Reservoir
Trail(s) Ridden: Started on the outer loop from the main lot, rode fire roads across the top, took the shortcut down to the inner dikes an rode the fence line out
How did you use the trail? Mountain biking
What was the time of day? morning
Hours: 1:15
Distance: 7.5 miles

Encounters & Observations: The bike was feeling heavy so I started taking the ‘easier’ routes and cut the ride short. The trails were in good shape. A few puddles but no real mud. It was mother’s day so it wasn’t crowded. Cleaned up a little along the way and did some quick repairs to a log pile ride but nothing major.

As I was returning to the main parking lot a member of the CT Search & Rescue stopped me. She asked me if I’d do her a favor. Of course I said yes. She explains that another member of the S & R is walking in the woods creating a trail for the team to work/train their dog. The member in the woods missed the turn and was headed deeper in the woods instead of coming out. I rode in and found the team member and walked out with her. Just a little ironic for a TA to go find a member of the S & R but in the same sense, pretty cool. I can’t say it was much of a search but I’ll say God bless these two team members. The one that stopped me said, “my sister took a wrong turn”. The lady had to be in her 60’s and so I of course assumed it must have been her younger sister… NOPE…the lady I walked out with had to be 80!!!!!! and still walking strong.. just not a good sense of direction…….

No comments: