Friday, January 2, 2015

Naugatuck State Forest

Date: 1/2/2015
Report Type: TA Report
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Oxford (and a tiny bit of Beacon Falls)
Trail Conditions: Frozen (except where it wasn't)

Observations/Information: Third trip out for the Wo.

My original intent was to ride Waldo again this morning, but I saw the gas gauge and figured by the time I got gas then drove out to Southbury... so I rode Naugy West instead.

Because Waldo was my intended destination (and my TA jersey was in the dirty clothes), I had no blaze on, since the season there is closed. Not so at Naugy - they're hunting small critters - so in the parking lot decided it would be prudent to wear the safety vest I normally carry in the truck. Good thing, as I encountered a hunter just east of Res 4. (No luck for him yet today.)

Route was my warmup followed by the "Reservoir Tour" (up east of 4, then down to 2, down and around 1, up to 3, up the east side and back to 4). The wet spots were mostly frozen (but may not be later if it warms up), except for down by the power line crossing by where the running stream crosses the trail (and it's mucky on either side).

Encountered nobody except the hunter. A weekend or two ago, I saw horse trailers at the parking area at the bend in Rt 42, so unsurprisingly there was plenty of, um, evidence of their presence around Res 2.

Trail Ambassador Name: John Joy
Trail Ambassador E-mail: jmj [at] savagejoy [dot] com
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden:
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): :40
Approximate Distance (Miles): 4

No comments: