Friday, September 12, 2014

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: Sept. 12, 2014
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Dry and ready to ride


Observations/Information: I have been working on clearing some invasive plant species from the park, which are plentiful. This past week, I hiked in from the Hill Street parking lot, en route to the top of the ridge to work on the hiking trail there. To even reach the ridge, I had to cut back the bittersweet vines, sharp-thorned multi-flora rose, and autumn olive along the Red-White Trail. At the far end of the field, I had to cut all of the above to open up the Red Trail, so it could be seen from the field. I also pruned back overhanging branches along the Red Trail up to the overlook of the field. In other areas, I cut a section of vines along Baldwin Drive. I picked up a bucket's worth of litter each along Baldwin Drive, at Judges Cave, at the South Overlook, and in the parking lot at Hill Street. There are multiple beer bottles and cans along the Red-White Trail that will remain until another visit, as I simply had no room in my buckets. I have never seen litter like this along the Red-White Trail. Litter in these other areas is regretfully fairly common. The trails themselves are solid for riding. The seasonal watercourse feeding Farm Brook Reservoir is completely dry. I have never seen it dry before.



Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red-White and Red
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 4
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2
Image 1: Red Tr. north end of field, overgrown, 9-14.jpg
Image 2: Red Tr. north end of field, clear, 9-14.jpg
Image 3: Reg. Tr. Stiff (bristly) aster2, 9-14.jpg
Image 4: Farm Brook Res., New Haven w. clouds, 9-14.jpg
Image Description(s)/Instructions: These pictures show before and after clearing the Red Trail, a view of Farm Brook Reservoir from the ridge, and bristly aster, a flower along the trail.

No comments: