Monday, August 18, 2014

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: Aug. 14, 2014
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Damp, but rideable
Observations/Information: I walked the Red Trail south from the northern part of Mountain Road (got that?). I cut open the trailhead from the road a bit, and walked for maybe a third of mile, cutting back the numerous invasive plants in the area. There is a section by a small pond that gets very overgrown by late summer. I hacked that back, but did not have the tools or the time to do the job effectively, but I did open it up a bit. Your shorts and legs will thank me for all the multi-flora rose bushes I cut. If you lost an orange-topped water bottle, I found it, but trust me you don't want it back, so I tossed it.
The state has recently updated the West Rock map, so be sure to download a color copy here: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/stateparks/maps/westrock.pdf Outside the park, the good news is that Hamden repaved the section of Benham Street from Dunbar Hill Road to Main Street. This was a heavily rutted section of road that motorists had to endure when driving from the Wilbur Cross Parkway at Exit 60 to the Lake Wintergreen parking area. On the other hand, Wintergreen Avenue is falling apart, so anyone headed from Westville is in for a bumpy ride.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal.net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 1
Approximate Distance (Miles): 1

No comments: