Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Shenipit SF

Date: 4/9
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Shenipit SF
Town: Somers
Trail Conditions: dry...but...
Observations/Information: This report covers Shenipsit north ( Galbraith Rd to Dillenback Rd)

Shenipsit SF had been my stomping grounds for many years. I learned to ride mountain bike on the rocky trails here...if you can ride Snip, you can ride anywhere. There had always been a lot of moto traffic here and they even host an endure event on the state forest land. This had set up a situation where you could almost ride the outer trail in any weather because no matter how much damage you might cause on the bike it would most certainly be rutted out the next week by a quad ( I know that's not very NEMBA, but it's the reality of the place).

Even so I wasn't quite ready for what I saw today. I had missed about 2 seasons of riding due to changes at home and with my health so the extent of what has happened here hits me all at once. The single track in most places hasn't just gone to quad tracks, but full blown Jeep trails. In one place the Jeep trail has a go around that had also blown out...it now has a second go around to go around the go around. ( do you think the quad guys get upset when some 4x4 gut thoughtlessly rips up their stuff?) Some of the better single track has survived. It looks like chokes through mature trees and a lot of off camber lines might help protect the trails that are left.
  
I crossed the blue-blaze re-route a couple of times. From what I can tell the trail uses very little of it's original route and has been recently re-cut and blazed.

I spent a little over 90 minutes out there, saw only two other people walking their dog, a couple of bike tracks, and very little "evidence" of equestrian use.

  
Trail Ambassador Name: Ken Chrzanowski

Trail Ambassador E-mail: ken.chrzanowskiatvhmctdotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: lollipop, old blue, yellow, moto world
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 1.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 8 or 9 miles
Images/Photos: IMG_3119.JPG
2nd image: IMG_3120.JPG
3rd Image: IMG_3122.JPG
4th Image: IMG_3123.JPG

No comments: