Sunday, October 14, 2012

TA Report: Mansfield Hollow State Park

Date: October 13, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Mansfield Hollow State Park
Town: Mansfield
Trail Conditions: N/A

Observations/Information: I represented NEMBA at the Mansfield Hollow Cyclocross On Saturday. I competed in the single speed race and, despite being totally under geared on my Monocog I did alright. Racing cyclocross on a mountain bike is fun. There are places on the course where you'll have an advantage over the riders on cyclocross bikes (due to both your bike and your skill set), and places where you'll be at a disadvantage, and you'll need to base your strategy on that. It takes brains.


Cyclocross is fun and generally pretty low-key (although the fastest racers are as serious as any you'll ever see), and it's a good way to try out racing. One guy wore a chicken suit (see photo). In my race the winners were awarded not trophies but beer. I was a lot closer to last place than first (DFL minus two), but I won a six pack for being the first and only finisher on a mountain bike.

Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: N/A
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): .75
Approximate Distance (Miles): About 10

1 comment:

Brendan said...

I left before the podium thing.

How'd you score the beer?