Wednesday, April 25, 2012

River Highlands State Park

   


Date: April 25, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: River Highlands State Park
Town: Cromwell
Trail Conditions: Good: tacky, but not muddy
Observations/Information: I rode down to Cromwell after school yesterday. Despite the rain showers and cool temperature, it was pleasant. Wool is an incredible fabric. None of the usual dog walkers, etc., just a lone fisherman. The river is still high, but not high enough to flood the blow hole. At some point, I need to remember to bring my saw, so I can remove the big blow down in the canyon. Everything else seems pretty clear on the green and white trails. I found a boogie board in the really steep cavity that drops into the blow hole. I can't imagine that the soil is sandy enough there for that to actually work.
Also, I noticed that someone (probably the Boy Scouts) has succeeded in completing a trail that goes all the way around Dividend Pond in Rocky Hill. The dirt bikes and ATVs that ride in the sand pit don't seem to have discovered all of it yet. Since I ride to Cromwell from my house in Hartford, I'm grateful for some extra singletrack along the way. If you look at my strava for the ride, you can kind of see it: http://app.strava.com/rides/7366908. More trails in Dividend Park plus the trails in Quarry Park plus Folly Brook Blvd plus the meadows make it so I can ride almost all the way from my house in the South End of Hartford all the way to Cromwell with little pavement.
Trail Ambassador Name: Brendan Mahoney



Trail Ambassador E-mail: oiseauxatgmaildotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: All the ones at River Highlands, Dividend Park and the Wethersfield Meadows
Time of day: Evening
Time/Duration (hours): 2.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 28.4 miles
Images/Photos: 2012-04-25 17.45.37.jpg
2nd image: 2012-04-25 18.13.47.jpg
3rd Image: 2012-04-25 18.21.42.jpg
4th Image: 2012-04-25 18.21.55.jpg

No comments: