Thursday, March 22, 2012

Timberlands

Date: March 22, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Timberlands
Town: Guilford
Trail Conditions: Ready to ride
Observations/Information: I hiked Timberlands earlier this year and decided that it was one of the more scenic places to hike in the area with interesting rock formations, twisty trails, and the occasional water view. I spent two hours riding there after work today.

To summarize: Timberlands represents what I most and least like about mountain biking. Keep in mind that I am writing this from the perspective of someone riding a hard tail with 26-inch wheels and gears that are low, but not low enough. Portions of the White Rectangle and Red Rectangle Trail were terrific, as was most of the Green Rectangle Trail. They were mountain biking at its best. I could maintain a steady flow, tracing a line around the rocks that dotted, but didn't clog up the trail.

Other parts of the White Rectangle Trail, the Blue Rectangle Trail, The Orange Rectangle Trail, and the various crossover trails were an exercise in frustration. Due to the sharp climbs and descents, which included endless roots and rocks, I took my bike for a hike on these trails, walking far more than I rode. There were two places where I could have really used a rope to lower my bike off a rock formation. Stay off the Orange Trail. It's not rideable and if you try, you risk damaging a delicate area.

The trails were generally dry and hard packed with occasional mud fields in low lying areas. Bridges and boardwalks generally need to be walked across as they are not designed for bikes.

Be sure to check for ticks as you ride. I found a deer tick on my sock as I was riding. That was far preferrable to having to rip one out of me when I got home.

I recommend starting at Guilford Lakes School. The trailhead is just up the road from the school on Maupas Road. If you start at the parking area on Rt. 80, you will have a steep climb near the end of the ride, a time you probably don't want to have to grind up a long hill.

Guilford Lakes School, 40 Maupas Road, Guilford. Directions: I-95 Exit 58 to Rt. 77 North for 1.8 miles, then right at light onto Stepstone Hill Rd. for 1 mile, then left onto Maupas Rd., and left into the school. From the north, take Rt. 9 to Exit 13 to Rt. 17 South for 7 miles to Durham, then Rt. 77 South 11 miles, then left on Stepstone Hill Rd. for 1 mile, then left onto Maupas Rd., and left into the school.

Map available at http://www.ci.guilford.ct.us/board-commissions/pdf/conservation-timberlandmap.pdf.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold

Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: White, Blue, Orange, Yellow and Green Rectangle,
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 2
Approximate Distance (Miles): 6 miles
Images/Photos:
2nd image:
3rd Image:
4th Image:

No comments: