Sunday, February 12, 2012

TA Report: Shelton Greenway



Date: 2/12/2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Shelton Greenway
Town: Shelton
Trail Conditions: Awesome, for a greeway


Observations/Information: Looking for something easy to ride but not out in the open like a rail trail would be I decided to check out the B2B trail after hearing that it's nearly completed.  It was around 20 deg when I got to the parking lot at Pine Lake but the wind made it feel more like 10 degrees.


As far as greenway trails go, this one is a lot more challenging due to the fact that there are some hills that you have to climb in both directions.


Cold temps meant there were few people on the trail.  Nice Shared Use Trail reminders.  With a dog park neighboring the trail and the fact that all I encountered were Dog Walkers today.  I wonder if all the signage might be due to some Dogger vs other user group issues?  Ed Perten forwarded me an interesting piece from the The New York Times about the Dogger issues at Trout Brook Valley that might be spilling over to here?


The trail is great and would be perfect to take the family on or if you want to get a little two wheeled exercise.  With the exception of bit that runs under the powerlines you could even ride the whole trail with road bike.  Under the powerlines, it's soft and muddy at times where skinny tires would be easily mired.  Fortunately for me, I was riding my Monster Cross with 29x2.1 tires that ate the soft stuff for breakfast.


I did find a new trail off of Oak Valley Road that looks like it may be the final section of the trail. However, what I rode was pretty narrow and very soft.

Trail Ambassador Name: Mark Lurie



Trail Ambassador E-mail: ctnemba a la gmail dot com
How did you use the trail? Other Biking
Trails Ridden:
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 1.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 8.8

No comments: