Sunday, April 24, 2011

TM Report: West Rock Ridge

Date: 4/24/2011
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge State Park
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Varied: Many sections were damp, but solid. Some sections were muddy. A few short stretches had about an inch of water on them. I have never previously seen standing water in these areas, so it reflects the recent rain. I had thought about biking because it was warm and sunny, but I'm glad I decided to go with trail work.
Observations/Information: I continued my assault on the invasive plant species that are displacing native plants with a focus on autumn olive and multi-flora rose. The trailhead at the northern end of Mountain Road is always being narrowed by multi-flora rose, so I continue to cut it back and hopefully it will eventually die off. There are two other bad sections of multi-flora rose about 1/3 mile south of this trailhead, areas that are narrowed down to nearly an impassable trail in mid-summer. I took down numerous autumn olive shrubs that are choking out native plants near this section of Mountain Road. I also cut back ones I cut in previous years that have resprouted. If the woods look a bit open in this area, it reflects the work I have been doing. In one section, you can now see a year-round vernal pool that was previously hidden by the autumn olive. Over time, native shrubs will make a comeback. The autumn olive and multi-flora rose were VERY easy to spot today because they are sprouting leaves. Three runners and a mountain biker passed by while I was working, and a friendly neighbor came out to chat.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold

Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123*sbcglobal*net
Trails Walked: The Red Trail between the two sections of Mountain Road
Time of day: 2 to 5 p.m.
Time/Duration (hours): 3 Hours
Approximate Distance (Miles): 1 mile each way

No comments: