Tuesday, January 18, 2011

TA Report: River Highlands State Park

 
    

Date: January 18, 2011
Location: River Highlands State Park
Condition of Trails: Deep snow & light rain.
Observations: I decided to try out my new snowshoes at the Blow Hole. The area had received about five inches of new snow that night and the parking lot had not been plowed, but I decided to take a chance and go in anyway. With about eighteen inches of soft snow and a thin layer of ice above it the trials did not favor riding, and likely won't for quite some time. A cold drizzle made me glad to be swaddled head-to-toe in Gore Tex. The recent snows had not brought any new trees down. Some of the trials were broken, some were not. Breaking trail through 18" of snow gave me a good workout.
Snowshoeing is a good excuse for getting outside when there's too much snow for riding. It's not as much fun as riding or cross-country skiing but it gets you in the woods and it gets you some exercise. Breaking trail or climbing steep hills is strenuous.
Well my parking lot gamble did not pay off and my car got stuck, but I had a shovel and was able to dig it out without needing to call for a tow.

Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes

Trail Ambassador Email: glennvernes33athotmail.com
Town: Cromwell
Trails Ridden: Green, white, yellow, red, unmarked
How Did You Use The Trail? Snowshoeing
Time of Day: Late morning
Duration: 1.5 hrs
Distance: About 3 miles.














No comments: