Saturday, January 29, 2011

TA Report: Mianus River Park 1-29-11


  


TA Report: Mianus River Park
Date of Activity: Saturday, January 29th, 2011
Location: Mianus Park
Condition of Trails: Snow covered and Hard-packed (but too soft for riding)
Observations:
I was cooped up, busy behind a desk for over a month and had to get out so I finally buttoned up and headed over to Mianus late afternoon Sat. for a quick hike. I was curious how the trails looked after so much snow. Sadly, the sun disappeared by the time I got there but the park was still beautiful with heaps of snow blanketing everything.
It's a popular park and all the trails were hard-packed. I met a few dog-walkers, snowshoers and a XC skiers on my hike but no bikers and not the tell-tale sign of bike tread on any of the packed trails. (Even through its hard-packed, it's pretty hard to get much traction on snow this thick and the bike's weight might mess it up for XC skiers.)

Mianus River

I headed north along the river on River Trail and Meander, headed up New Trail and circled back down by the river. I then wandered in on Inner Road and headed up to Peak Trail and Ridge Run before heading out.
Although the snow was really deep, every trail was was packed down. By the time I left, darkness was creeping in and the white ground became gray and featureless in the fading light.
I snapped a few photos but, as mentioned, too bad it was overcast.

Trail Ambassador Name: Rich C,
Trail Ambassador Email: mtnbikerdad[at]yahoo[dot]com
Town: Stamford/Greenwich
Trails Ridden: Various
How did you use the trail?: Hiking
What was the time of day? Late Afternoon
Duration (Hours): 1 1/2

No comments: