Monday, November 1, 2010

TA Report: River Highlands State Park

Date of Activity: Nov. 1, 2010
Location: River Highlands State Park
Condition of Trails(s): Good
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Observations: I had some time after work, so I did a first-time exploration of the park. The trails were bone dry, but I could see from the loose dirt, the waterbars, and the washouts that the area can suffer from some significant erosion issues. I picked up the occasional small branch and tossed it off the trail, but overall the trails were generally clear. I did not see any trash, which was a positive sign. Although there were a few other cars in the parking lot, I did not encounter anyone on the trails. When you go, make sure you have the updated map from the state website (http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/riverhighlandsmap.pdf) I had a map dated 2003 and I was having trouble finding my way because the 2003 map did not match the trail blazings. It wasn't until I got home and looked up the website that I saw the new map and realized the problem. The old map shows trail colors that are no longer in use and trails that simply don't exist. Even with the new map and fresh blazes, I imagine it would be confusing because the trail design seems quite random with trails starting and stopping abruptly. For those who have never been there before, the White Trail is the main trail and is a wide doubletrack. The Yellow and Green Trails cut across and through a dramatic ravine on single track. I look forward to returning on my bike.

Trail Ambassador Email: bikehikekayak {at} sbcglobal {dot} net
Trail(s) Walked: White, Yellow, Green
How did you use the trail: Hike
What was the time of day: 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Duration (Hours): 1
Distance (Miles): 2

No comments: