Saturday, January 2, 2010

TA Report: River Highlands State Park.

Date of Activity: January 2, 2010
Trail Ambassador Names: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador Email: glennvernes33athotmaildotcom


Town: Cromwell
Location: River Highlands State Park (aka Blow Hole State Park)
Trail(s) Ridden: Green, yellow, white, unmarked.
How did you use the trail? Mountain Bike
What was the time of day? Afternoon

Duration (Hours): 2
Distance (Miles): Around 5 or 6
Condition of Trail(s): Snow

Observations: It was snowing in the morning so I decided to stay local. I worried about getting my car stuck in the parking lot but was happy to see it had been plowed. This place had seen a lot of foot traffic since the snow fell two days earlier- almost every trail had boot and dog prints. Did people resolve to get out more in the new year? Will it continue? I saw a lot of animal tracks too. Some went straight, like they knew where they were going. Others seemed to wander aimlessly. I can only guess they had a reason for it. I also saw ATV tracks, though not on the singletrack.

The trails had about three inches of snow, less up on the windy ridges, no ice to speak of, and riding was a challenge. The lack of traction had the rear wheel spinning and the front washing out. I lost my (rim) brakes at one point, and my cleats packed with snow every time I put a foot down.

The yellow (formerly red) trail down to the blow hole was the most packed and easiest to ride. I managed to ride all the way up, over the logs and through the stream crossing without dabbing. My 29er performed well notwithstanding the pedal and brake problems. Traction and flotation are both better than they are on a 26 inch bike. Had a good time despite the tough conditions, and a planned 1.5 hour ride turned into 2.



Trails were in good condition except for two trees down on the green trail and a collapsed bridge on the yellow trail.

No comments: