Tuesday, June 28, 2016

TM Report: Naugatuck State Forest

Date: June 27, 2016
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Oxford
Trail Conditions: Beige Trail, blazed, but mostly not rideable

Observations/Information: I had a busy day in my final (yeah) trail project at the Naugatuck State Forest.  I blazed the trail along the west side of Reservoir 3 in Beige. Why beige? I had half a can of it from my neighbor from when he moved. On the trees, it looks like a pale yellow. You can see it in the photo of with the logs. I cleared a blowdown that was blocking the trail. I blocked off two of the three trails at the first stream crossing, and created my own approach to the second stream crossing.
I placed logs by junction with the Red-Green Trail, so people can follow the Beige trail. I did some light pruning along the sunny part of the trail. The photos of the trail are AFTER I did my light pruning. You can push through on foot, but there is lots of growth that will catch on bike handlebars. The sections that are in the woods, closer to Reservoir 4, are fine for bicycling.

I carried the pickup truck parts to the Chestnut Tree Hill Road gate for the state to remove. The state removed the truck several years ago. The parking lot at this location has been greatly enlarged, which is good news because this area needs a good sized lot. Twenty cars could probably park in this area now.

I found two wood ticks crawling around my car as I was driving home. I tossed them out onto the hot asphalt at the supermarket to cook and die. A very thorough tick check found no creepy crawlers on me.
I'll schedule a work party after the frost. While it would be tempting for someone to blast through there with a brush cutter, the reality is that there are many good native tree, shrubs, and other plants intermingled with the nasty invasives. My focus would be careful pruning of the natives and ripping out the invasives as much as possible.

Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal[dot]net 
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking 
Trails Ridden: Beige (West side of Reservoir 3) 
Time of day: Afternoon 
Time/Duration (hours): 4 
Approximate Distance (Miles): 1 
Image 1: Map-Naugatuck SF West w. colors.jpg 
Image 2: NSF, Beige Tr. after clearing, 6-16.JPG 
Image 3: NSF, Beige Tr. start at Red-Green Tr., 6-16.JPG 
Image 4: NSF, car parts at Chestnut Tree Hill Rd. parking, 6-16.JPG 
Image Description(s)/Instructions: The color-coded map of the Naugatuck State Forest, along with views along the Beige Trail and the car parts formerly along the trail.


No comments: