Friday, February 13, 2015

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: Feb. 13, 2015
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: New Haven
Trail Conditions: Deep snow

Observations/Information: I met with a representative from a private school that is interested in having students help with trail work. They plan to start once the weather warms. I told them to focus on cutting invasive plants and picking up litter. While I was there, I walked a circuit, out on the Red Trail and back on the Teal Trail. I cut lots of vines and pricker bushes on the Teal Trail. I pruned mountain laurel on both trails. I cut a blowdown on the Red Trail that would normally be at knee height, but it was buried under snow. The Red Trail was packed down by boots, as was the Teal Trail near Westville, but some of the time I was post-holing through the snow, as snowshoes are definitely not compatible with the trailwork I was doing. Baldwin Drive is plowed for access to the antennas, so that is one option for biking. Red is one of the designated biking trails at West Rock. I have suggested to the state that they open up the Teal to mountain biking, as that trail is an old carriage road. There is still a 24-inch diameter red oak across the Red Trail by the Teal Trail. I asked the state if they can cut this, which they will do at some point. The tree has been down since 2012, and a well-used trail has been created around the root ball.


Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red and Teal
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 4.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2
Image 1: Baldwin Drive plowed.jpg
Image 2: Red Tr., big red oak, 2-15.jpg
Image Description(s)/Instructions: Baldwin Drive is plowed.
This red oak is across the Red Trail.

No comments: