Sunday, January 11, 2015

Quillinan Reservoir

Date: Jan. 11, 2015
Report Type: TA Report
Trail Name: Quillinan Reservoir
Town: Seymour/Ansonia
Trail Conditions: Blown clear or icy

Observations/Information: I led an AMC hike today. I had explored this area last winter and created a GPS map for myself with waypoints. Since last year, I see that the mountain biker trail to the left of the map board has been blazed. It was helpful to have that, but it was confusing to come to other trail junctions and see purple heading off in four directions. Our group ended up looping back on ourselves because it was hard to know which way to go.

I'm reluctant to criticize anyone's work, as I know how much is involved with maintaining trails, but a basic rule of a good trail system is to have a trail go in two directions, not four. I hope someone will update the blazes and blaze the cross trails in some other color, as they used to be blazed.

I did the IMBA Trail Building School at Huntington State Park a few years ago. I explained to the hikers the skill involved with the building the trail, which follows the contour lines to prevent erosion. I also pointed out the various armored surfaces. They appreciated the gentle flow of the trail.

As I hiked, I flicked numerous branches off the trail, as I always do. The Purple Trail up on the ridge from the parking lot on Rimmon Rd. (Rt. 313) had been blown clear of snow. Other trails were icy, but easy to hike.

GPS track: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3971455

Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Purple and Blue
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 3
Approximate Distance (Miles): 6

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The trails at Quillinan are some of the best built and maintained I've ever seen. I would be a good idea to blaze each trail its own color.