Wednesday, August 6, 2014

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: Aug. 6, 2014
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Dry and Rideable
Observations/Information: After work, I walked a loop from Mountain Road on Red-White-Purple-Red. I brought a pair of clippers with me and made good use of them cutting back many overhanging branches as I walked. If you like to floss your teeth with the mountain laurel as you ride, you may not like what I did, but don't worry, it will grow back soon enough. The trails are dry and firm, other than an occasional deep muddy spot. The White Trail is looking considerably worse for wear in spots with deep ruts and some widening. The seasonal watercourses are all dry, showing the results of a lack of rain. The state recently posted an update to the map for West Rock, so be sure to download and print a copy. This includes a number of trail updates I did over the past two years. http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/stateparks/maps/westrock.pdf
I also updated my website for the park and added some new pages: http://westrocktrails.blogspot.com/
If you ride at the park, DON'T park at the main entrance. I found two piles of broken window glass by the map board. Stick with parking at Lake Wintergreen.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red, White and Purple
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 1
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2

No comments: