Sunday, May 18, 2014

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: May 15, 2014
Report Type: TM Report
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Dry and rideable
Observations/Information: I walked the White and Red Trail circuit around Lake Wintergreen. The trail was generally firm and dry. On the White Trail, I cut down four dead trees that were hanging over the trail, including a two-part widow maker. There was a 6-inch diameter red pine that was mostly split near the base that was hanging on another dead 6-inch tree that was resting on a third tree. I cut the red pine by the split, stepped back, and threw a small tree trunk at it several times until it fell with a loud crash. I then cut the other tree, which fell under its own weight. I cut up the trees and dragged them off the trail. I also dealt with a dead hemlock that was about to fall on the trail. I also cleared some downed branches that were blocking a culvert and directing water back onto the trail. On the Red Trail side, I cut and pulled a number of bittersweet vines, plus cut a multi-flora rose to the ground, a plant that normally grows well out into the trail. There was surprisingly little litter along the trail and in the parking lot, but I picked up what I found.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold
Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red and White
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 2.5 hours
Approximate Distance (Miles): 1.5 miles

No comments: