Saturday, April 12, 2014

Naugatuck State Forest

Date: 3/25/2014 (OK, I know, several weeks ago)
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Naugatuck State Forest
Town: Oxford/Beacon Falls
Trail Conditions: Frozen (with some not so frozen and icy patches)
Observations/Information: I took what I'm guessing will turn out to be my last "winter" (frozen ground) ride for the season in the Naugatuck State Forest (West Block). Despite the cold of the past few days, there were a few spots where the ground wasn't frozen (and required a walk). And the trail up from the northeast side of Res 2 still had an active watercourse circa the power line crossing. Good thing I was wearing armor: I thought I had a clear line around some ice on the trail down the east side of Res 1, but managed to pick up the ice, and down I went, directly onto my right knee. (Hey, I'm a klutz. Hence the armor.)

Minor TM performed (branch-trimming, dragged a small pine off trail). A couple of very ugly widow-makers hanging by Res 1 (one by the bridge, one just up hill). There's still a tree across the fire road on the west side of Res 2.

Ample evidence of dirt bike activity during the mud. And someone built an odd little teepee just below Res 4 (not sure why).
Given the warmup in the forecast, I'm sure next up is mud.
Trail Ambassador Name: John Joy
Trail Ambassador E-mail: jmj [at] savagejoy [dot] com
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden:
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 1 hr
Approximate Distance (Miles): 4 mi
Images/Photos: Res2EarlySpringPano.jpg
2nd image: Res1Widowmaker1.jpg
3rd Image: WeirdTeepee.jpg
4th Image:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Follow-up: the two widow-makers by Res 1 have been taken down.