Thursday, December 27, 2012

TA Report: River Highlands State Park


Date: December 25, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: River Highlands State Park
Town: Cromwell
Trail Conditions: Good, with a little snow.
Observations/Information: I took a Christmas Day hike at River Highlands. I spent a lot of time on the southern end of the park. This area has few trails and gets little use, but the terrain is fantastic. It's high and slopes more gently than the rest of the park. I started thinking about potential TM projects, and how we could make the park an even better place to ride.

While hiking the green trail along the river a huge bird flew off out of a tree nearby. At first I thought it was a turkey vulture due to it's size but then I saw the unmistakeable white head and tail of a bald eagle. This bird was huge and easily the biggest bald eagle I've ever seen (6-7 foot wing span). My second bald eagle sighting at this park.

The trails I hiked (red and green south of yellow) were in good shape.
Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes


Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red, green, unmarked
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 1 1/2 hours
Approximate Distance (Miles): 3 miles

No comments: