Saturday, December 15, 2012

River Highlands State Park



Date: 12/15/12
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: River Highlands State Park
Town: Cromwell
Trail Conditions: Good
Observations/Information: I took an after work hike at River Highlands Saturday. I hiked the green trail north of yellow, the blue/black, the green/blue, and then the green through sidewinder and back along the railroad tracks. The slower pace of hiking allowed me to notice things I might not on the bike. First, the park appears to be seeing a lot of riding action lately-multiple tracks on every trail and copious chainring grooves on all the logs. I think it has a lot to do with the work the chapter has done here. I saw a car with Florida plates and a bike rack in the parking lot.

The green trail north of yellow and past the gravity cavity has affectively been rerouted with a long cheat line. The new line is actually not bad, reasonably flowy and, from a sustainability standpoint, better than the original. Another problem with the originl is that it's very narrow and trenched along much of its length. That trench fills with leaves and other debris, giving it the look of a half-abandoned trail. I think I'll leave the new line alone.

I also noticed that the sidewinder is in good shape. The old trail, which essentially goes straight up the middle, has been unblocked, probably to provide a quick and easy way back up to the top for sessioning purposes.

Conditions were very good and I wished I had my bike. I'm going to try to ride there Sunday morning if the weather holds.
Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes


  

Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Green, blue/black/green/blue/yellow
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 1.0
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2.5 miles
Images/Photos: Blow Hole 121512 003.JPG
2nd image: Blow Hole 121512 002.JPG
3rd Image: Blow Hole 121512 008.JPG
4th Image:

No comments: