Friday, November 16, 2012

River Highlands State Park


Date: November 10, 2012
Trail Name: River Highlands State Park
Town: Cromwell
Trail Conditions: Twiggy, dry
Observations/Information: I took a quick hike at River Highlands to find my glasses, which I had lost the last time I rode there. They were ripped off my face by a protruding branch and got so lost in the thick leaf layer that I couldn't find them before darkness forced me to retreat. After about 10 minutes of crawling infantlike amongst the leaves I found them, none the worse for wear after a week outdoors in inclement weather.

The Nor'easter was harder on this park than the hurricane. The combination of snow and wind brought a lot of sticks, twigs, and small branches down. I did not see any large limbs or trees. I cleared the green trail where it runs along the ridge north of yellow, through the gravity cavity and out to the bench that overlooks the river. I didn't get a chance to clear anything else.

The trails are snow-free and dry enough to ride, but you'll have to deal with those annoying sticks and twigs.
Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: Green
Time of day: Morning
Time/Duration (hours): 2/3
Approximate Distance (Miles): 1 mile

No comments: