Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hurd State Park

Date: October 20, 2012
Report Type: TA Report:
Trail Name: Hurd State Park
Town: Middle Haddam
Trail Conditions: Dry and leafy.
Observations/Information: It was one nerd at Hurd as I snuck in a ride late Saturday afternoon. I was reminded of why late October can be one of the best times to ride a mountain bike with sunny skies and cool, dry air. I was also reminded of how it gets dark pretty early in late October-read 6:15 in the woods. The trails were well tended and clear of sticks and blowdowns.

I rode the red, blue, white, purple, and pink trails, and all were dry and overed with a blanket of fluffy leaves that made them a little hard to follow, espescially as it got dark. I also rode the green trail- an older "official" trail on the southern end of the park. It's a pretty good trail in places, put in others just an old CCC road with crumbling, eighty-year-old pavement.
I crossed paths with two other bikers and several dog walkers. One was headed toward Higganum Meadows, where hunting is allowed, and I warned her about that.

The trails at Hurd are fast and flowy and I was able to cover 11.25 miles in 1.5 hours without really trying. There is a lot of elevation change, though, so be prepared for climbing.
Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes

Trail Ambassador E-mail: glennvernesatgeemaildotcom
How did you use the trail? MT Biking
Trails Ridden: Many
Time of day: Evening
Time/Duration (hours): 1.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 11.25 miles
Images/Photos: Hurd 102012 001.JPG
2nd image:
3rd Image:
4th Image:

No comments: