Wednesday, June 27, 2012

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: June 27, 2012
Report Type: TM Report:
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Dry and firm
Observations/Information: It was a perfect day for trail blazing with temps in the 80s and humidity in the 40s. I reblazed Red and White around Lake Wintergreen. Some of the blazes were still good after five years and looked like I had just painted them last week; others were barely visible under a haze of green fuzz. Three years ago I asked the state if they could put a rock at the junction of Red and Red-White, as there was no place to put a blaze for Red in this open area. It's interesting that so many other needs in the park delayed my blazing this rock until this trip. I pulled up lots of bittersweet vines and cut back some multi-flora rose along Red. I cut back the dead mountain laurel just past the spillway along Red to open up a view of a small stream.
I added more branches to the woods where the White and Gold Trails meet. It's amazing how people who are out for a hike will shortcut a trail junction to save themselves 100 feet of walking. The problem is that their feet kill anything trying to grow in that section of woods.
I met one of the EnConn police officers who was out there on routine patrol. He said someone had complained about roaming dogs, but all the dogs I saw were on a leash. When riding around Lake Wintergreen, watch your speed because this is the busiest loop in the park with dog walkers, fishermen, hikers, and other bikers. I saw all of the above while I was doing my work.
The trails were generally dry and firm. The White Trail near Orange tends to have a damp section as water comes off the ridge and flows across the trail. This area needs a drainage ditch to catch the water, and then a culvert to send the water under the trail. I doubt I will get to this project anytime soon.
I have thoroughly updated my West Rock blog, so be sure to check it out. Thanks to Rich Coffey for creating close-ups of the state map for each trail. westrocktrails.blogspot.com/
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold

Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak123 [at] sbcglobal.net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red and White
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 3.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2
Images/Photos:
2nd image:
3rd Image:
4th Image:

No comments: