Wednesday, September 7, 2011

TM Report: West Rock Ridge SP

Date: 9-7-2011
Report Type: TM Report:
Trail Name: West Rock Ridge SP
Town: Hamden
Trail Conditions: Wet and soggy
Observations/Information: This was my second post-Irene visit to West Rock. I did a loop from the southern portion of Mountain Road, south on Red, west on Purple (not open to mountain bikes), and north on White. There were lots of little sticks and leaves that I raked off the trail. I had a few small trees to remove from the Red Trail. There was one tree crown on the White Trail by one of the by-passes that I cleared, along with a tree across the White Trail near the northern junction with Red. With all the heavy rains, water is absolutely everywhere. This is the soggiest I have ever seen West Rock. I created numerous small nicks in the side of the White Trail to get water off the trail. On a positive note, I was pleased to see that the terrain just up the slope near White was relatively firm, indicating a good location for future trail relocation. At my request, the state recently cut a 12-inch diameter hemlock that fell across the White Trail a few months ago, causing users to create a by-pass. The DEEP workers tossed brush on the by-pass and I added some more as I cleaned up the original trail a bit more. As I left, I fished Colt .45 and Mike's Hard Lemonade cans out of the canal near Mountain Road. This is an ongoing problem. I didn't appreciate having to tiptoe through the poison ivy to get to some of the litter. I spoke to a runner on the White Trail and he said the Red and White Trails around Lake Wintergreen were clear. He said there were trees down on the White Trail that have been removed. He also said the White Trail was clear from Lake Wintergreen to Purple, which is good news since I did not have time to get there. As always, bikers should stay off the trails until they are much drier. This is a good opportunity for people to get out there and help the park by taking a walk and picking up sticks.
Trail Ambassador Name: Tom Ebersold

Trail Ambassador E-mail: bikehikekayak {at} sbcglobal {dot} net
How did you use the trail? Hiking/Walking
Trails Ridden: Red, White and Purple (not open to bikes)
Time of day: Afternoon
Time/Duration (hours): 4.5
Approximate Distance (Miles): 2
Images/Photos: White Tr. N. of Purple, wet, 9-7-11.jpg
2nd image:
3rd Image:
4th Image:

No comments: