Thursday, April 7, 2011

TA Report: Roosevelt Forest

Date of Activity: 4/6/11

Location: Roosevelt Forest

Condition of Trails(s): Dry and beautiful, a few mushy mud puddles, streams running and easy to traverse.

Observations: I returned today on my day off to take care of two blow downs. A jogger stopped to tell me he appreciated what I was doing as he was tired of ducking under the fallen tree. He interrupted his jog to help me. Those little saws take forever and my arm got tired quickly. As I returned to the parking lot I was greeted by three police cars, one from Stratford, one from Monroe, and one from Newtown, and a pickup truck with a barking canine. I guess I did not look suspicious as they ignored me and talked amongst themselves. Roosevelt Forest has a police firing range just off of the parking lot and they periodically close the forest when the police are using the firing range. I guess they were doing a multidepartment canine exercise as they appeared to be in no rush and did not come into the parking lot with their lights flashing and sirens blaring.

Trail Ambassador Name: Ed Perten

Trail Ambassador Email: edperten (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
Town: Stratford
Trail(s) Ridden: All
How did you use the trail: Mountain Bike Ride
What was the time of day: Late morning, early afternoon
Duration (Hours): 3 hours
Distance (Miles): A bunch

No comments: