Wednesday, December 22, 2010

TA Report: Cockaponset SF / Weber Woods

Date of Activity: December 22, 2010
Location: Cockaponset SF / Weber Woods
Condition of Trail(s): Slow, crunchy, and frozen
Observations: I started out pretty late, so I chose to ride the outer perimeter of the forest in the clockwise direction; a little chilly at the start, but warmed up quickly working through the crunch; I started to get annoyed at the conditions and my speed, but got it together and realized why I was on the trail in the first place; decided to mellow out and just enjoy a serene pace and the scenery; besides the expected frozen conditions, the trails were clear and in good shape; I didn't see anyone until later when I began to approach the Muck Rock section by the horse farm when I heard a thundering rumble approaching from the front. Two girls with red, windblown faces were crrrranking towards me on horses and laughing. I exited the trail fast and as they flew by, one called out "thank you"; shook my head and continued out to the dirt road and towards home; as I approached my back yard, I spooked a large hawk 20 feet up a tree that was eyeing the birds on my bird feeders; turned out to be a fine ride, glad I did it.
Trail Ambassador Name: Don Hazuka

Trail Ambassador Email: donald(dot)hazuka(at)covidien(dot)com
Town: Clinton/Killingworth/Westbrook/Deep River
Trail(s) Ridden: Green, orange- outer perimeter of forest
How did you use the trail: Mountain biking
What was the time of day: Late afternoon
Duration (Hours): 1
Distance (Miles): 5 1/2

No comments: