Wednesday, August 25, 2010

TA Report: Upper Paugussett State Forest


Date of Activity: 8/25/2010
Trail Conditions: Good. Not too wet. Rocks were slick.



Observations: The trails were surprisingly dry given the recent rain. However, anything hard like rocks or wood was slick. I lost my traction on the rocks on the re-route after the first stream crossing. I didn't go down but it caused my chain to pop off. No problem getting it back on. Came across some hikers on the Polly Brody. Two teenage boys who say they often bike on the fire road but had no idea about the Gussy. After talking with them and realizing they were nice kids and had decent bike knowledge I told them about the Gussy and how to get there. They seemed excited to check it out. The other hikers were an older couple with poles in hand. There was lots of evidence of bikers riding the Gussy backwards. Several skid marks were a dead giveaway. I cleared debris in several places. Mostly large downed branches blocking the trail. No need to use my hand saw. Took some pics but was having camera problems today.

Trail Ambassador: Rick Brodsky
Trail Ambassador Email: rdbrodsky(at)gmailDOTcom
Town: Newtown
Location: Paugussett State Forest
Trail(s) Ridden: Polly Brody, Upper Gussy
How did you use the trail: biking
What was the time of day: 2:45-4:15PM
Duration (Hours):1.5 hours
Distance (Miles): 6ish

No comments: