Sunday, August 1, 2010

TA/TM report Weber Woods/ Cockaponset


Date of activity: July 31, 2010
Condition of trail(s): Very good shape
Trail Ambassador Name: Don Hazuka

Encounters and Observations: Beautiful day with low heat and almost no humidity…perfect for a bike ride in the woods; expected just to crank through the trails but my plans changed when I began to run across a lot of blown down branches on the green trail; I must have stopped 25 times to clear off branches of varying sizes; the bugs were not bad except when you stopped; headed around to the west parking lot and dropped off some maps in the kiosk box; took a walk around the lot and happily saw no litter; proceeded to the white/yellow trails and the muddy pass there; pretty good except for the one stretch that needs some tending to; took some length measurements across the established route for possible bridge building over the mud (about 40 feet), then noticed that ten feet to the right the trail could potentially pass over the wet stuff across a 25 foot stretch instead; I took down my pool deck earlier in the summer so I have some nice 12 foot pre-fab bridges (see photo)


 that could work out here; I hopped on the green trail
and ran across a recently downed large tree across the trail with a rough detour already created around it; I’ll need to haul my chainsaw out there and remedy the situation; continued out on the green and headed home; my only encounter was with a good sized white tail; completed my ride with hydration supplied by a few Tuckerman Pale Ales I brought back from NH last week when I was hiking in the Whites.

Email: donald.hazuka@covidien.com
Town: Clinton / Westbrook
Location: Cockaponset SF / Weber Woods
Trail(s) ridden: All trails
How did you use the trail?: Mountain bike w/some TM along the way
What was the time of day?: Late afternoon
Duration (hours): 1.5
Distance (miles): 6.0

No comments: