Saturday, May 29, 2010

TA Report: West Hartford Reservoir



Date of Activity: 5-28-2010
Condition of Trail: Outstanding
Encounters & Observations: Started from the main lot. Stayed on the outer fence line going up. Rode the blue trail along the top. Stopped at the peak for ab out 15 minutes and removed limbs from a fallen tree to reopen the path. Riders now have an alternative to riding the ledge…scary, or walking. Two bikers came by just as I was finishing. One took the path I just cleared and thanked me. That made my day. Only the constant wet spots are left, and always will be. They are mostly on the inner fire road crossing between the inner and outer dikes. MDC is still doing a lot of work along the closer fence line. It’s marked well and now even fenced if you ride in from the 44 side. The markings and fence begin at the large concrete container about 1/3 of the way in on the fence line. If you take right on to the hard top, follow it down to the main walking path and then take your next left..uphill…ugh.. It’s the “road” that leads out to Canal street, you can finish on the fence line. I will explore from the other direction my next time out to see how far in from this side we can go and if there are any other paths. It was getting dark so I couldn’t this time. Good choice on my part as I had 2 flats in the couple of miles.. I hate walking my bike! Got lazy and figured I’d just walk the last ½ mile instead of changing the tire..again! Oh, I got real close to deer. He was more worried about eating that me.

Trail Ambassador Name: Daren Casey
Email: daren@darencasey.com
Town: West Hartford
Location: West Hartford Reservoir
Trail(s) Ridden: outer loop and some of the fence line
How did you use the trail? Mountain biking
What was the time of day? evening
Hours: 2 hrs
Distance: 10 miles

No comments: