Thursday, February 4, 2010

TA Report Wadsworth Falls & Millers Pond State Parks

Date of Activity: January 29 & February 2, 2010

Trail Ambassador Names: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador Email: glennvernes33athotmaildotcom
Town: Middletown & Durham
Location: Wadsworth Falls and Millers Pond State Parks.
Trail(s) Ridden: Yellow, White, Red, unmarked
How did you use the trail? Mountain Bike
What was the time of day? Morning/Afternoon

Duration (Hours): 3

Distance (Miles): Around 12

Condition of Trail(s): Good



On Friday I scouted out Wadsworth in preparation for the group ride on Sunday. It was cold! How cold was it? It was so cold my rack was frozen and I had to stick the bike in the car. Wind howled across the parking lot and blew snow in my face as I got ready, but I warmed up quickly once on the trail. I came prepared to clear a tree that had fallen across the yellow trail, but I didn't have to- the DEP had cleared it for me. Conditions were rock-hard ground, ruts and all, under 2-3 inches of snow.



On Tuesday I rode Millers Pond. The trails were well packed from Sunday's big group ride, and the riding was phenomenal. The ground was frozen hard, very little ice. My new 29x2.55 Weirwolf LT tires stuck like Velcro to the thin layer of packed snow- I continue to be amazed at the traction available from 29 inch wheels. I rode the XC loop from the parking lot out to the dam, clearing a downed tree as I went. Conditions were so good I decided to turn around and ride back the same way I came.

No comments: