Friday, July 10, 2009

TA Report River Highlands State Park


Date of Activity: July 10, 2009
Condition of Trail(s): Good, amazingly dry.


Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador Email: glennvernes33athotmaildotcom
Town: Cromwell
Location: River Highlands State Park
Trail(s) Ridden: Green, red/white, red, blue
How did you use the trail?: Mountain Bike
What was the time of day?: Afternoon
Duration (Hours): 1.5
Distance (Miles): 9

Observations: I met up with four riders tonight, the most I've ever seen at River Highlands. One told me he'd been reading my TA reports and had ridden at the park five times in the past week! Word is getting out about what this place has to offer, especially its status as a great place to ride after heavy rain. The trails are still in good condition generally, but are showing signs of ever increasing use. It's a small place, and trails tend to be ridden multiple times on each visit. There is continued evidence of braiding on the green trail, although one I closed off on my last visit remains closed.

I also found a new trail, blazed light blue, at the northern end of the park. One section is poorly designed from both a sustainability and rideability standpoint; a steep fall line descent with a sharp turn at the bottom. It would be easy to build a re-route that would be both more sustainable and more fun to ride. If the section begins to erode, I'll suggest it.

ATV riding continues, although no evidence of them on the singletrack.

No comments: