Saturday, June 20, 2009

TA Report River Highlands State Park

Date of Activity: June 20, 2009
Condition of Trail(s): Good, well used, surprisingly dry

Trail Ambassador Name: Glenn Vernes
Trail Ambassador Email: glennvernes33athotmaildotcom
Town: Cromwell
Location: River Highlands State Park
Trail(s) Ridden: White, Red, Green
How did you use the trail? Hike
What was the time of day? Late Afternoon
Duration (Hours): 1.5
Distance (Miles): 3

Observations & Encounters: My main reason for this visit was to look for evidence of ATV riding on the single track- I found none.

The soil here is very porous, drains very well. There were no puddles even after three weeks of rain. This would be an excellent place to ride after heavy rain.

The slower pace of hiking gave me a good opportunity to assess the condition of the trails. They are in good condition but showing signs of increased use- the tread is being packed and widened and roots are becoming more exposed on steep slopes and some other areas. I’m also seeing some trenching where the trail gets narrow. This could lead to sustainability problems in the future. I will keep my eyes on it.

No comments: